As of 5 March 2012 inception of a 5-point programme for the promotion of the migration of qualified employees from non-EU/EFTA countries:
- One-Stop information - NARIC (National Academic Recognition Information Centre) will be positioned as the central contact and information point for the recognition of third-country higher education certificates.
- Simplification of the application process through the possibility of central application submission at NARIC. NARIC then forwards the application to the responsible university.
- Reduction of the process duration for the screening of the submission and the decision of recognition to maximum 3 months. Prior to this change the duration was limited to 6 months.
- Since half of the annual recognition submissions concern the medical sector with the 3 medicine schools Vienna, Graz and Innsbruck, a central agency as a competence centre in medicine, which centrally takes care of all the submissions in the field, is suggested.
- NARIC supports employers in the process of comparing third-country higher education certificates in non-regulated academic professions (e.g. banks, logistic companies) of potential candidates for free and in an unbureaucratic manner. The employers receive an official expert opinion, but no recognition in an academic sense.