ANNOUNCEMENT 15 Sep 2011In September 2011, the government of Brazil announced a change to the import-specific domestic duties.
NUMBER OF INTERVENTIONS
Presidential Decree no. 7.567 of 15 September 2011, published in Official Gazette of 16 September 2011: http://www.planalto.gov.br/CCIVIL_03/_Ato2011-2014/2011/Decreto/D7567.htm
On September 15, 2011, the Brazilian government announced an increase from 25 to 30 percentage points of Brazil's industrialized products tax for vehicles.
The increase applies to motor vehicles, tractors, buses, trucks and light commercial vehicles imported into Brazil until December 31, 2012.
The vehicles that meet the following requirements may be excluded from this tax increase:
The listed operations are:
1. The assembly, final review and compatibility tests
4. Corrosion and paint treatment
5. Plastic injection
6. Engine manufacture
7. Fabrication of transmissions
8. Steering systems, electric suspension, brakes, axle, engine and transmission gearbox installation
9. Chassis and body mounting
10. Final assembly of cabs or bodies, with the installation of its elements, including acoustic and thermal coating and finishing
11. Manufacture of the body, using mainly parts with stamp or regional format
Local manufacturers that invest in technological innovation and those who carry out most of its processes on Brazilian soil are exempted of this measure.
The tax increase entered into force on September 16, 2011.