On 20 June 2018, the Indian Ministry of Finance through Notification No. 49/2018-Customs and Notification No. 48/2018-Customs increased the import duty on several products when imported from the United States of America. This follows India's notification to the WTO in May of the suspension of concessions and other obligations stipulated in WTO Safeguard Agreement, see related intervention. The duties are imposed in reaction to the US steel and aluminium safeguard duties, see related state acts.
The increased duties were announced to take effect from 4 August 2018. On 3 August 2017, it was notified through Notification No. 56/2018-Customs that the amendment will take effect from 18 September 2018.
Duties are increased on the following goods from the United States:
- Artemia from 5% to 15% (HS 0511.99.11)
- Indian chickpeas (Kabuli chana) from 40% to 70% (HS 0713.20.10)
- Bengal Gram (HS 0713.20.20) and Chickpeas (HS 0713.20.90) from 60% to 70%
- Lentils (Mosur) from 30% to 40% (HS 0713.40)
- Almonds - in shell (HS 0802.11) from Rs. 35 (~USD 0.52) to Rs. 42 (~USD 0.62) per kg , shelled (HS 0802.12) from Rs. 100 (~USD 1.47) to 120 (~USD 1.77) per kg.
- Walnuts - in shell from 100% to 120% (HS 0802.31)
- Apples - from 50% to 75% (HS 0808.10.00)
- Phosphoric acid from 5% to 20% (HS 2809.20.10)
- Boric Acid from 7.5% to 17.5% (HS 2810.00.20)
- Diagnostic reagents from 10% to 20% (HS 3822.00.90)
- Binders for foundry moulds from 7.5% to 17.5% (HS 3824.99.90)
- Flat-rolled products of iron or non-alloy steel from 12.5% to 27.5% (HS 7210.12.10, 7210.12.90)
- Flat-rolled products of stainless steel from 7.5% to 22.5% (HS 7219.12, 7219.13, 7219.21.90, 7219.90.90)
- Grain-oriented flat-rolled products of silicon-electrical steel from 5% to 20% (HS 7225.11.00)
- Several products of iron and steel from 10% to 25% - these include tube or pipe fittings (HS 7307.29, 7307.99.90), structures and parts of structures (HS 7308.90.90), containers, trunks and cases (HS 7310.29.90), Screw, nuts and other non-threaded articles for use in manufacture of cellphones (HS 7318.15, 7318.16), SIM socket/other metal mechanical items used in manufacture of cell phones (HS 7318.29.90) springs and leaves for springs (HS 7320.90.90), cast articles (HS 7325.99.99), and forged or stamped articles (HS 7326.19.90, 7326.90.99).
Notably, a number of other countries also imposed retaliation measures in the form of duties in reaction to the imposition of steel and aluminium duties by the United States, see related state acts.