ANNOUNCED AS TEMPORARYNo
On 20 June 2018, the Indian Ministry of Finance through Notification No. 49/2018-Customs and Notification No. 48/2018-Customs increased the import duty on several products when imported from the United States of America. This follows India's notification to the WTO in May of the suspension of concessions and other obligations stipulated in WTO Safeguard Agreement, see related intervention. The duties are imposed in reaction to the US steel and aluminium duties, see related state acts.
The increased duties were announced to take effect from 4 August 2018 but have been postponed repeatedly, as follows -
- 3 August 2018: Notification No. 56/2018-Customs postponed till 18 September 2018
- 17 September 2018: Notification No. 62/2018-Customs postponed till 2 November 2018
- 1 November 2018: Notification No. 77/2018-Customs postponed till 17 December 2018
- 15 December 2018: Notification No. 80/2018-Customs postponed till 31 January 2019
- 29 January 2019: Notification No. 3/2019-Customs postponed till 2 March 2019
- 26 February 2019: Notification No. 6/2019-Customs postponed till 1 April 2019
Duties are increased on the following goods from the United States:
Notably, a number of other countries also imposed retaliation measures in the form of duties in reaction to the imposition of steel and aluminium duties by the United States, see related state acts.
⚑ Please report this page in case you detect an inaccuracy in its content.