ANNOUNCEMENT 13 Dec 2017
December 13th, 2017 - The Chinese government released a plan promising government support for firms in the artificial intelligence sector.
NUMBER OF INTERVENTIONS
PRC Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, December 13th, 2017. (工信部科315号 工业和信息化部关于印发《促进新一代人工智能产业发展三年行动计划（2018-2020年）》的通知)
PRC Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, April 2nd, 2018. (工信厅科函〔2018〕118号)
Ibid., November 11th 2018. (工信厅科﹝2018﹞80 号工业和信息化部办公厅关于印发《新一代人工智能产业创新重点任务揭榜工作方案》的通知)
In December 2017, the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology released Gongxinbuke 2017/315: a plan to increase government support for firms contributing to the domestic artificial intelligence (AI) industry over a three year period from 2018-2020.
The plan gives many details on the types of AI applications the government is looking to support, for example, self-driving cars, an AI-driven image recognition software, with less information on specific instruments that would be used to achieve the goals laid out in the plan.
However, the announcement does mention the increased use of state-controlled financial instruments (government guidance funds, state-sanctioned loans and insurance policies) to boost eligible firms.
This plan came as a result of the State Council's Guofa 2017/35, which urged relevant ministries to take measures to boost the AI sector.
Subsequent to this announcement, the application process to register as an eligible firm was announced with Gongxinting Kehang 2018/118, before the first list of successful applicants was announced in September 2018; please see related act for more information.
In November 2018, the MIIT released Gongxin Tingke 2018/80, which further explained which sectors would be targeted by the scheme. 17 sectors where AI technology would be increased were identified, as follows:
1. Networked smart cars
2. Smart service robots
3. Smart drones
4. Medical image assisted diagnosis systems
5. Video image identification systems
6. Intelligent voice interaction systems
7. Intelligent Translation Systems
8. Smart home products
9. Smart sensor
10. Neural network chips
11. Open source open platforms
12. Smart manufacturing of key technical equipment
13. Industry Training Resource Libraries
14. Standard Testing and Intellectual Property Service Platforms
15. Intelligent network infrastructure
16. Network Security Systems
17. Other important technologies, products, services and platforms involved in the development of the artificial intelligence industry.