On 16 July 2009, Zimbabwe Finance Minister Tendai Biti gave his Mid-Year Fiscal Policy Review. In the review, he proposed the amendments with trade implications outlined below:
- Scrappage of a 40 percent import duty on foreign newspapers.
- Lowering of tariffs on line telephone sets and handheld telephone sets from 25 percent to 5 resp. 0 percent.
- Lowering of import duty on printers from 5 to 0 percent.
- Reduction of duties on powdered milk and butter oil from 40 to 0 percent.
- Reduction of duties on leather in slabs, waste leather, palm stearine, wadding textile fibres, binding and baler twine of sisal, twine of synthetic fibres from 40 to 10 percent.
- Reduction of import duty on public transport type passenger motor vehicles from 25 to 15 percent.
- Reduction of import duty on single cab trucks in the transport of goods frm 25 to 20 percent.